Thursday 26 January 2012

Appifying just about everything

When I first saw the quote  “Mobile app developers will ‘appify’ just about every interaction you can think of in your physical and digital worlds"  (Scott Ellison, IDC mobile and wireless),  I had a hard time with it. I thought it was geeky and overblown. Was my future phone going to make my future coffee? As I may have mentioned, I don't have a smartphone. Then I started to look at the trends and I started to feel like the world was becoming the one Woody Allen woke up to in The Sleeper.
I found that,  according to a study commissioned by mobile application store operator GetJar, the mobile application market will reach $17.5 billion by 2012. By then, the number of mobile application downloads will have also grown to nearly 50 billion from just over 7 billion in 2009, and that a year ago January 26, The Globe and Mail reported that:
“...research firm Gartner Inc. forecast the worldwide mobile app market to surpass US$15.1-billion in revenue in 2011, an increase of 190% from the US$5.2-billion mobile applications generated in 2010. By mid-decade in 2014, Gartner is expected that figure to reach US$58-billion, marking growth of 1,000% from 2010 levels.”
1000% increase by 2014?

Then I learned that they can locate and unlock a Zip Car, act as health monitors for diabetes patients and track the development of a pregnancy. That applications are growing in the areas of mobile payments; spooky, J. Bond-like "near field communications"  (contactless data transfer between compatible devices placed within 10 cm of each other); money transfer through short message services (a need in the developing world); location based services (aps that tap into your phone’s GPS to offer location based services such as directions to local businesses) and last but not least, for all the marketers: mobile search aps to drive sales and marketing  opportunities on the phone.

There could easily be an app for making the coffee. Wait for it. 

3 comments:

  1. Probably already is an app for making coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there is an app for making coffee, I may have to give in. Is there one for finding a car in a parking lot? I want it, too.

      Sarah, have you seen The Sleeper? It might give you a laugh. It's like that. A robot in every house :)

      Delete
  2. I wish there was an app for coffee, and I'm sure there is something coming!

    The research you did showing the growth of the industry are astounding. I find it interesting that apps are still quite new, but they truly are becoming ingrained in every part of our life. I only have a Blackberry, so I don't use too many apps (as I would if I had an iPhone or iPad), but I'm not sure I would want to subscribe to too many apps. Perhaps I fear becoming very depending on them, but I always think that back when our parents grew up, they did just find without apps. Clearly I need to get with the times though because it doesn't seem like apps are going anywhere! Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete