Friday 13 January 2012

Getting to know more about social media

Social media is not completely new to me, but I am a bit of a dinosaur when it comes feeling comfortably savvy about all of the ins and outs and their uses for public relations. I  admit that I have not taken the time to re-familiarize myself with the new FB or to completely understand the "like" functions and what all the connections imply. I have noticed the new connections to Twitter and am occasionally asked via email to participate in petitions that appear connected to FB through applications.

I have a Twitter account, but I have never tweeted and I don't have a smart phone. I know that many cynical non-users believe the users tweet each other when they go to buy coffee. But I am a bit of a fan. I see Twitter as very important in replacing some of the traditional media functions.

Being available to individuals not constrained by corporate interests, Twitter has a role in liberating important world news and events from potential political and corporate interests. No meetings required. No committee decisions needed. I appreciate it for that, though I fear what might be a social addiction to those short sentences. Don't get me started on texting.

It's been a while since I was directly involved in media relations, but I got rid of my own cable subscription last year and admit to using some of the major papers as litter box liners while catching up on the news online, so I can see the world of media has changed and I've changed with it, though I didn't notice it happening.

This course is my attempt to catch up with the world around me and learn more about the implications of  emerging social media platforms and evaluate their uses for public relations activities, good and bad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment